Walk a Mile in My Shoes
Ariang Primary School is located in a rural village within South Sudan and educates close to 700 students each year. As one of the only Primary Schools in the area, most students walk up to 2 hours a day to reach school. Without proper footwear, the long trek can be difficult and sometimes even dangerous.
HOPE for Ariang Foundation seeks to reduce the barriers for students to receive quality education. With this purpose in mind, it is our goal to provide every student at Ariang School with a new pair of shoes during the 2018 academic school year.
HOPE for Ariang will purchase high quality shoes in Nairobi, Kenya to be able to get to school each day and will last until they outgrow them. Our goal is to distribute shoes (as well as new uniforms) at the beginning of the new academic year in February 2018. One pair of sturdy shoes for a student will cost $15.
Learning from the experiences of other charitable organizations in East Africa, we will establish a “Family Partnership Fund” through our shoe distribution. Families will be asked to contribute 15ssp (about 10 cents) when they receive the shoes for their children. The funds raised from “The Family Partnership Fund” will be directly invested back into Ariang Primary School towards a project that the families select. This small contribution will create a deeper sense of school community and help families feel more invested.
Help us provide a new pair of shoes to Ariang School students in 2018! Equipping students with tools for learning (yes, this includes shoes!) will allow them to focus on their education and be more successful in school while at the same time fostering a deeper sense of belonging and school community.
You can buy one pair of shoes with a $15 donation, Go Here >> or involve your school/community group in our “Walk a Mile in My Shoes” campaign, by signing up to be one of our project sponsors! Contact us here >>
When you sign up, you’ll receive a printable Ariang Shoe and Ariang Student Biographies to inspire students to be part of this global-impact project! You can decide how much to sell each paper shoe for. Each time you sell a shoe, have the purchaser/student sign his or her name on the shoe and then post the shoe to your school wall or outer window. Make sure it’s a wall that is seen by students and teachers every day to keep the passion of the project alive.
- If Gabriel Bol Deng is speaking at your school, sell the shoes at a table outside the auditorium or classroom after his presentation.
- Set up a table at lunch in the cafeteria.
- Have a homeroom or specific classroom in charge of selling the shoes and make a contest of which homeroom can sell the most
- Sell shoes through the main office and make daily announcements.
- Sell shoes after school to students involved in clubs, sports, etc.
- Sell shoes at events such as talents shows, bake sales, sports events and conferences.
Group Project Incentives!
- Raise funds for 20 pairs of shoes ($300) – you will receive a nicely framed photo of students receiving their shoes to be displayed in a prominent location at your school/community group.
- Raise funds for 50 pairs of shoes ($750) – you will receive a personalized video message from students at Ariang School
- Raise funds for 75 pairs of shoes ($1,125) – you will receive a personalized video message from students at Ariang School and a 20 minute video chat from Gabriel Bol Deng.
The school that raises the most number of shoes will receive a personalized video message from students in Ariang and a special visit from founder, Gabriel Bol Deng during 2018*
When you are finished selling the shoes and raising money for our Walk a Mile in My Shoes campaign, please send us a story and picture about your experience so that we can tell others of your wonderful efforts and also let the children in Ariang know about you. You can send the money you raise to:HOPE for Ariang Foundation
P.O. Box 15327 Syracuse, NY 13215
Thank you so much for your participation in the “Walk a Mile In My Shoes” fundraiser!
Whether you are an individual, Sunday School class, a school, or community group – any donation will make a big impact! The students or Ariang Primary School thank you!
*visit is subject to his availability and will require some flexibility due to his location.